210 Walnut Street
Rockport, IN 47635
Our meetings are held the first Tuesday of the month, as needed, at the Rockport Library at 6:30 PM. Meetings subject to current Covid-19 regulations.
Historical Events and Holidays
July 6, 1860 – Newtonville Post Office Established - George Totten First Postmaster
July 7, 1861 – Indiana 25th leaves lower landing in Rockport to engage in the Civil War.
July 7, 1837 – Rockport Weekly Gazette published by Thomas J. Langdon.
July 8, 1852 – New Boston Post Office Established - Thomas Phillips First Postmaster
July 8, 1850 – New Hope Post Office Established - William Harris First Postmaster
July 10, 1860 – Buffaloville Post Office Established, Name changed from Buffalo - William Bench First Postmaster
July 11, 1859 – Rockport Collegiate Institute cornerstone laid.
July 14, 1921 – New Spencer County Courthouse dedicated.
July 17, 1943 – Spencer County's last Civil War veteran, David J. Smith, dies at age 95.
July 21, 1875 – Patronville Post Office Established - Edward Harrison First Postmaster
July 24, 1900 – Electric lights turned on in Chrisney, Indiana.
July 30, 1940 – Glover H. Cary Bridge (Blue Bridge) opened.
August 2, 1826 – Sarah Lincoln marries Aaron Grigsby.
2021 - 2022 Officers
Membership is open to all and dues are $20.00 per year per person from August 1 to July 31. Membership may be taken out at any time. A form is available on the links above. Mail your name, address, e-mail (not required) and research interest (if any) to:
Spencer County Public Library
210 Walnut Street
Rockport, IN 47635-1398
Web Site Mission Statement
The mission of the Spencer County History web site is to provide current information to our patrons concerning the operation of the Spencer County Historical Society and the history of the South Spencer County School Corporation.
The Spencer County History web page is a creation of Raymond and Patricia Dawson with technical help from their son. It has not been officially sanctioned by the Spencer County Historical Society. It is an attempt to provide information to the public about the Society and to make available our research on the schools in the southern half of the county.